Name of Agency Fairmount Community Development Corporation (CDC)
Fellow's Job Title Business Services Specialist
Proposed Project Goal for the Fellowship
A Philly Fellow will help the Fairmount CDC achieve strategic goals around economic development and business services. We want to help organize a stronger business community and improve our communication and services to our business community. This in turn will allow us to increase our support and funding and continue to grow and develop programming that helps make Fairmount and Brewerytown cleaner, safer and more economically and socially vibrant neighborhoods.
Address 2206 Fairmount Avenue
Number of Staff 3
Agency Mission Fairmount CDC's mission is to foster the improvement of the residential, commercial & social fabric of the Fairmount neighborhood, while preserving its character & diversity.
The Fellow’s Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist in organizing the Fairmount Area Business Association and the West Girard Business Association. • Work with small business owners to strengthen their businesses and help retain or create jobs. • Organize and assist with community events. • Coordinate monthly business association meetings and recruit new members. • Communicate availability of grant and incentives offered by the local and state government for small business owners. • Represent the Agency at various events, as assigned.
The Skills/Qualifications a Fellow Should Have to Succeed in This Position
• Bachelor’s degree • Interest in economic development, community development, small business consulting, urban planning, or non-profit management. • Ability to work independently and deliver results on assigned projects required. • Ability to work effectively with a team and with various constituencies required. • Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. • Volunteer or work experience with a nonprofit or mission-driven organization preferred. • Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Work required; familiarity with Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Publisher, WordPress preferred.
The Community Need the Fellow Will Address
1. 1. The Philly Fellow will address the needs of the Fairmount and Brewerytown communities. The specific need that plagues this community is lack of access to fresh, affordable food. The Philly Fellow will support the local community organizations, primarily the Fairmount CDC, by assisting with economic development strategies aimed at attracting the type of businesses to West Girard Avenue that will provide fresh, affordable food and other types of retail goods and services lacking in the community. There are approximately 1200 individuals living within the northern section of Fairmount, immediately adjacent to West Girard Avenue. Of those 1200 individuals, 56% of whom have household income of less than $50,000. All of these individuals do not have access to fresh, affordable food in their immediate, walk able vicinity. Although fresh, affordable food is the first priority, a stronger, more vibrant West Girard Avenue will also bring additional retail goods and services. The Philly Fellow will focus on supporting the overarching economic development goals for the target area, while keeping access to fresh, affordable food a priority.(Source: PolicyMap)
How the Agency Addresses This Need, and How the New Capacity Created by This Fellow Will Help Alleviate the Problem
2. The Fairmount CDC addresses the needs of the community by providing a range of projects and programs aimed at empowering individuals, increasing the financial stability of residents and small business owners, building local community connections and improving the overall infrastructure and vitality of the area. The Fairmount CDC believes that in order to address these issues successfully, residents and small business owners must be informed and engaged. The Philly Fellow will work with the business owners to improve the physical environment along West Girard Avenue and to help organize the business owners to become engaged and invested in the local business association. The Philly Fellow will also work with the residents to become involved in neighborhood events and projects and to communicate the residents’ concerns and desires regarding the business community to the business owners.
The Level of Community Involvement in the Fellow’s Project
3. Fairmount CDC, by the nature of our work, is connected to the community and there is involvement at all levels. We interact with and support individual residents and business owners and community groups, such as civic associations and business associations. Our organization is also asked to provide information to local and regional outlets and/or attend local events and speak to various local groups. The level of the Philly Fellow’s involvement in these activities will depend on their skills and interest.
The Agency’s Plan for Training and Orientation
The Philly Fellow would receive the same training that all new employees of the Fairmount CDC receive. This consists of: • An in depth orientation to the organization and its programs, projects, constituent communities, staff, board, and policies and procedures. • A walking tour of Fairmount CDC’s service area and field visits to projects, programs and partner organizations. • One on one training on economic development and community organizing by the Executive Director. • Opportunity to enroll in local training on economic and community development for nonprofits to further build the Fellow’s skill set.
Name and Title of Fellow’s Immediate Supervisor
Rebecca E Johnson, Executive Director
Plans for Supervision of the Fellow
The Philly Fellow will meet with his/her supervisor (Executive Director) once a week in a formal session to review work, timelines, goals and work flow. Ongoing supervision and problem solving is available as needed.
Will Fellow Be Working at the Same Address Listed Above?
Will the Fellow Have Their Own…
Office? Fellow will share
Desk? Fellow will have their own
Computer? Fellow will have their own
Approximate Percentage of Time the Fellow Will Work….
As a Team Member in a Group Setting 25%
As a Team Leader in a Group Setting 25%
Will the Fellow Be Expected to Travel for the Position?
If So, How Often and Where?
Very rarely and within Philadelphia
Will the Fellow Need the Following…
A Driver’s License? NoTheir Own Car? No
1515 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102